Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Announcement That Changed My Life

I remember vividly sitting at the kitchen table with my mom as we began watching General Conference in October of 2012. Every conference, the prophet makes announcements for the church, such as temples that will be built. However, never in my life have I heard such a powerful and personal statement made by the prophet of our church as I did when President Thomas S. Monson stated, "Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy, young women, who have the desire to serve, may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21." As this was announced, tears streamed down my face as I knew the plan I had for life was being changed for the better. After this announcement, I continued to pray to my Father in Heaven for a confirmation that my decision was the right choice for my life. I prayed about this for a very long time. Many months later I was preparing to take the ACT, and asked my father to give me a Priesthood blessing. In that blessing (even though I had only asked for this blessing because I desired comfort as I was about to take this test - I'm not a good test taker) I was told that my Father in Heaven was pleased with the path I had chosen for my life. I then knew this was the right decision for me. I also learned that Heavenly Father answers our prayers in his own time, and in his own way, but he always answers. After waiting about a year and a half, I was finally able to turn in my mission papers on July 17, 2014!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePumpbzKweU

No comments:

Post a Comment