Sunday, November 30, 2014

What Made Me Decide to Serve as a Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints??

I went to BYU's Especially For Youth (EFY) program every year I possibly could from the moment I turned 14. This was my third year attending the camp, and it was the first time they decided to incorporate Preach My Gospel (The study guide missionaries use) into the program. We were asked to spend time studying a lesson with our "companion" out of the first chapter, which talks about the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith. After a few minutes of study, we were then asked to get together with another group of mock missionaries, and take turns teaching the lesson to each other. This was the first time I was in a role-play situation where I had to teach a lesson as a missionary would, and I felt so strongly the desire to teach real investigators of the church in the same manner. This was the first impression I had that I needed to dedicate 18 months of my life completely to the Lord by serving a full time mission. This moment seemed small at the time, but as I began to really ponder if I should serve a mission, it stood out in my mind as an answer from God. I am so grateful for this experience, and the inspired people that decided to bring Preach My Gospel into the EFY program!

No comments:

Post a Comment