Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Lots of emotions here at the CMM 1/13/15

This week was a roller-coaster. All in all, it was probably the best week I have had at the CCM because I have learned so much, but it was also the hardest.

Funny story first: Elder Summers is hilarious. He kept complaining about his head hurting, and three days after of him complaining, we asked him if he had felt like throwing up, if he had had a hard time remembering things, or if he had a hard time focusing. He said, "You know, I really thought it was just a headache, but come to think of it, I probably have a concussion." He went to the doctor and sure enough! He had a concussion from the bunk bed, just like Hma Price. I laughed. So hard. These beds are evil, I'm telling you. I don't know who they'll attack next week, but it will probably be me just cause I laughed so hard about it. 

Okay now for all the emotions. We found out Tuesday night that E Wares had to go home. His Doctor said if he didn't have it fixed, it would cause him to go blind in that eye and then spread to the next eye. I literally cried from 7:00 when we found out until I went to bed that night. I didn't really understand why I was so upset until I realized it was because I couldn't imagine being in that situation. I cannot imagine having this taken from me, I can't even explain it in words, but the fact that I cried for 3 and a half hours straight hopefully explains how I feel about this mission. Before E Wares left he said, "I don't know why Heavenly Father is taking me mission from me right now, but I know he has a plan." 

14B left this week (We are 14A) so that was hard. They were all really great guys, and they will be fantastic missionaries. Hma Price's best friend and neighbor growing up was actually one of the Elders in that District, so it was really sad seeing her say goodbye with a handshake.

I got super frustrated with Spanish again. Actually Hma Price got frustrated with it too. Haha during the Grammar part I freaked out one of the Elders cause I was just glaring at the computer and I guess he just hasn't seen the angry part of me yet...haha! Anyways, during Personal Study Hma Price and I both felt the comfort of the Lord. Actually, you might all think I'm crazy, but I had the impression to write a letter to myself, because I knew if it were one of my friends I would have advice for them! So I just wrote what the spirit told me and then I read it afterwards. This is what it said,
 "Trystan, you prayed to the Lord that he would allow you to go on a Spanish speaking mission. You will speak Spanish fluently. Did you think it would be easy? The only way you are going to be able to speak this language with the little training you've had is through the mercy of the Lord. If you are humble, he will make this weakness your strength. Spanish will be the most powerful language you can possibly preach the gospel in. It is the language that you are needed for. Look how far you've come. In 4 weeks, you have learned more than you ever did in a year and a half of Spanish. The Lord is on your side. He wants you to succeed. He did not call you to this mission because he thought you MIGHT be able to do it, he called you to it because HE KNOWS you can. Rely on Him. Be humble, and know that He is not only cheering for you, but He is guiding you along, allowing you to stumble only enough to realize where your strength really lies - in His hands." Ether 12:27 is great. 

I realized that Spanish is not the most important language to learn on my mission. I need to learn the language of the spirit. And good news!! That has been the greatest accomplishment so far here at the CCM. I am obviously still learning, but I have never understood the promptings of the spirit as clear as I have here on my mission.

Example: One of our teachers, Hno Romero, is acting as one of the investigators he taught on his mission. As Hma Price and I prayerfully planned our lesson, I had the impression to use the story in Alma 36 about the conversion of Alma the younger. Even though our Spanish was VERY broken, the Spirit was crystal clear. Both of us left with our hearts full because we knew that what we said was of God, and not us. Our teacher told us afterwards that Alma 36 was the exact chapter that he shared with this investigator, and it was what gave him the hope to eventually be baptized. This investigator had been involved with gangs, drugs, and murders, and had no hope of God ever forgiving him. But through the mercy of Jesus Christ, he was forgiven. He was baptized and was able to feel the freedom of the forgiveness of God. At the end of this story in Alma, he says how his Joy was now as great as his sorrow had been, because of the mercy of the lord. 

If a man like this, or like Alma, can be completely forgiven, and feel the redeption of the Lord, dont you think we can all feel of His love if we will just come unto Him? We can all be made whole, but it is ONLY by acting on faith upon the teachings of Jesus Christ and His Gospel. 

Hma. Price blew my mind today. We were talking about a devotional we had from E. Holland. In it he told us how Preach My Gospel took 7 years to write, and the purpose of changing the missionary program was to convert the missionaries before the investigators. He said the original name was suppose to be "Preach my gospel by the Spirit" (Taken from D&C 50:14) but that the name was too long so they shortened it to PMG, however the full name is still the point. This is not my gospel, its not Hma. Price's gospel, its not Joseph Smith's gospel, and its not Thomas S Monson's gospel. It is The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Anyways, we were talking about this, and about the Christlike attributes section in PMG that teaches us how to be converted, and about how they are listed in D&C 4. Then Hma. Price asked, "You know how the prophets say, 'Every member a missionary?'" I knew exactly what she was thinking. It doesn't just mean everyone share the gospel- It means everyone become converted. Everyone gain the attributes of faith, hope. charity and love, virtue, knowledge, diligence, humility, patience, and obedience. Can you imagine of the whole world had these characteristics? Even if every member of the church had these attributes? THAT is why the prophets said every member a missionary. It's not because they need more members of the church, it's because together, we can spread the love of Christ to everyone. President Uchtdorf said, "That language (The language of love and the spirit) is the pure love of Jesus Christ. It is the most powerful language in the world. The love of Christ is not a pretend love. This love rings about real change of character. It can penetrate hatred and dissolve envy. It can heal resentment and quench the fires of bitterness. It can work miracles."

So I beg of you. Study the scriptures. Develope these attributes. Study PMG - it teaches you how to gain these attributes. You can't just obtain them because they are not talents, they are the characteristics of Christ. It is only through Him, and the enabling power of the atonement that we can become like Him. 

Lastly, read the Book of Mormon. "We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10:3–5.)
 Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the Second Coming of the Messiah."

I don't have a lot of time today, so if you emailed me I will either write you back next week or write you a letter when I get back to California. I LOVE all of your e.mails and hearing how you are all doing!! Thank you for all of the prayers and the support. I love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment